Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's a blog for anyway?

Hi, again! I'm definitely glad you stopped by! I am pondering: what's a blog for anyway? It seems that a lot of people (and I do mean A LOT!) are posting their personal ramblings (not that there's anything wrong with that!).... and, it's me included... because.. why? There are other people using their blogs to generate income (imagine that!)... now some of those "smart" ones are writing how-to articles, DIY stuff, financial self-help, inspirational devotions.... so, my question to myself is: what do I know about that I can start a "smart" blog? ... Let's review:

1. Rocks... I've got rocks in my head!
2. Mars (?)... I want to know all about the Red Planet...
3. Crochet.... I do crochet everyday, and knit at least a couple times a week... nothing fancy yet
4. Mistakes... especially other people's mistakes... I would make an excellent proofreader! Let's explore this one!

Two things I hate in this world: thieves and liars... true, but that's not where I was going...
Two things: misspellings and poor grammar!
I can't tell you how many times I have picked up the local newspaper and cringed at the cut-off sentences and blatant misspellings. I thought the editor was supposed to proof the articles before they go to print? At least, in this world of cut-and-paste, the reporters could run their pieces through 'spellcheck' before submitting them for publishing? A few years back, I attended one of our regional universities. The campus newspaper was atrocious. Not only were the spelling and grammar leaving much to be desired, but the content was sometimes inappropriate for their diversified audience. I did write to the editor on that note, because I was embarrassed to share the newspaper with my friends and family (it was that bad!).

But how would I turn this obsession with correct grammar and passion for eradicating spelling errors into a fruitful blog?... I would definitely need to title a new blog.  (See that definitely? It means "without question." It is rooted in the word finite, meaning "bounded, limited in magnitude or expanse." If I had a nickel for every time I 've seen it posted as "definately" I could already pay for grad school! DEFINITELY... definitely... Definitely.... no A's people! It looks funny now, doesn't it?

I'll scan the recent posts on Facebook for more grossly overused misspellings. I will forgive the cyber jargon (maybe?). It won't take long... please watch for a new blog title from me. I think I have found my niche! LOL :)

No comments:

Post a Comment